Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Treasure or Junk?

Today an appraiser came to the house to give us an idea of the value of some railroad items that belonged to my dad (b. 1929--d. 2010). I was amazed when he shared the value of some of the "treasures". What I thought were almost worthless, he got real excited about. What I thought were almost priceless, were actually not valuable at all.

The experience makes me wonder about other "things" in my life. If God came by to give an appraisal of my "heart's treasures", would I be astonished at the price He gave to several things I've been hanging onto. Gold, for instance, the stuff jewelry is made of, is a precious metal on this earth, but in heaven it will be pavement material. Anything that I value here will seem like nothing compared to the riches in heaven.

Psalm 139:23-24 says "Search me, O God, and know my heart [give me an appraisal]: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way [worthless junk] in me, and lead me in the way everlasting [where the REAL treasures are]."

No comments: