Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hunger Pangs

So, we cut one of Dean's medications in half, in hopes of it harnessing some of his weight gain. His appetite seems to know no bounds these days, but I have to say it hasn't improved since the change. I'm thinking his raging hunger is also due to his brain injury. If he sees food, he will eat it these days.

I have to be super vigilant with grocery shopping. All junk foods are out. Even if it's a healthy snack food, I can't have it around unless it's something that's low in calories, like fresh grapes or bananas. Those are the kinds of things I push for his snacking.

I also have to watch my leftovers. As soon as I feel we've both had enough supper, I have to whisk the food away to the fridge and hopefully hide it, before he "finishes it off". Yesterday I fixed him some of his favorite foods for supper (to make amends for turning down his pleas to go buy ice cream the last two days).

I got detoured on my computer after eating supper, and he comes in the bedroom and announces that he had finished off the scalloped potatoes. I panicked because I had made a really large casserole of this particular entree that he likes so well.

I raced into the kitchen to see how much was actually left and was relieved to see that he hadn't eaten it all the way down yet. But almost. Rather scary stuff. It immediately got stored on the top shelf of the refrigerator. It seems the top and bottom storage areas are the ones he notices the least, so I reserve them for foods he should stay away from.

Lord, please do that with all my temptations. I know you can't eliminate all of them, but put them where I won't be as apt to see them. You can store my impatience and worry on the top shelf somewhere. And please hide that pride somewhere down in the lower bins, way in the back.


There's actually some potatoes left in this 2 qt. casserole dish. Can't believe the two of us ate this much!

3 comments:

Joy said...

Teresa, your spiritual insights are inspiring. I agree on the temptation thing--we do have to put them on high shelves--or sometimes out of sight.

Teresa said...

Thanks for your responses, Joy. I love hearing back from my readers. Just hoping to share my daily blessings through this blog. They come in all shapes and sizes! (the blessings, I mean--well, maybe the readers too--he he)

Anonymous said...

Teresa, I like reading your posts. Your writing is so insightful. I was comfortably reading along, but then you made a personal application...You had me then, because I was already "present" with you in your kitchen, storing those dishes. I join your prayer. Thank you. JRB