Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Trapped

I've always wondered why I dread going places in the car with Dean. Nine times out of ten when I've lost patience with him, it's been while we are going someplace in a car. He may have been an excellent truck driver before his injury, but that also seems to qualify him as the worst "back seat driver" now.

Today was no exception, as I really came unglued just as we entered the parking lot of the eye doctor's office. This was our fourth time there in the past week, by the way. It's a long story, but needless to say, I wasn't calmed down enough to do anything but sit in the car while he went in and got the new lens for his glasses.

I got to thinking about why car trips were so difficult for us--especially for me. The thought came to me that in a car, we can't get away from each other. You can't go to another room, or take a walk around the block to cool off. You are stuck in the car with someone you can't deal with and don't want to deal with--and it isn't fun.

Satan loves us to feel trapped like this. He tries to arrange our lives so that we have no way out, so we have no where else to go but to be with him, to follow him, to be miserable with him. He wants to "take us for a ride".

God, on the other hand, bids us enter His house, where there is plenty of room to deal with our sin problems, whatever they are. We need this freedom to grow our patience, heal our anger, and understand our trials.

Next time Dean and I find ourselves in the car, I refuse to feel trapped. I'll just keep focused on the freedom that awaits us at home.

2 comments:

Vicki Knutsen said...

Dear Teresa
my daughter sent me to your blog. 7 years ago my husband also had a Traumatic Brain Injury because of a bleed which developed in his brain requiring 3 brain surgeries. He had 1 and 1/2 years of physical therapy re-learning how to do a lot of things and I certainly can relate to what you shared. Thanks for the encouragement to live in the freedom of Christ. May God walk near to you as He has walked near to me in this season of my life. I also don't recommend the caregiving life - but God's mercies are new every morning. :)

Teresa said...

Thanks so much for your kind comment, Vicki. I hope everyone can see that even under heavy burdens, God has a message for us somewhere.