Sunday, January 5, 2014

Gnashing of Teeth

 My experience has brought a whole new meaning to the verse that says in the end times there shall be "weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 24:51

Insomnia and teeth grinding...who would connect the two with stress. But I can't ignore them any longer. How do you avoid stress when it is under your nose 24 hours a day? Obviously the only thing I can change is my response to it.

But how does one change such an unconscious response as teeth grinding. Especially when it's happening during sleep. Maybe it's a good thing I'm having insomnia, or my mouth would be hurting even more often than it does!

The reason I think these symptoms are stress related is because they are so sporadic. I can go for a few days and not have my mouth hurt at all; then I have several days when I find myself slathering ora-gel and holding hot washcloths to my face all day for relief. I can also sleep almost nine hours one night and the next night only be able to squeeze out three or four.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern with these symptoms. Maybe because as much as I try to schedule and keep to a tight program around here, it just seems impossible to create a pattern for what goes on in my busy caregiving life. That in itself can be stressful.

Plus my to-do lists seem to have a life of their own. The responsibilities and cares of life just keep pouring in. For instance, about a week ago my microwave quit working. Can't blame the thing, it was probably over two decades old anyway. The light and alarm had stopped working a few years back. It was so old it didn't even have a turntable, but at least it heated up our food.

That wouldn't be such a tragedy to most folks. But most folks don't have a family member who forgets to turn the stove off 75% of the time. Having a microwave is the only way I feel comfortable leaving him by himself, so he doesn't have to use a stove.

After looking into many options, I just decided to wait until our social security checks came in and then buy the cheapest one I could find. In the meantime, my daughter and son-in-law brought one over from a neighbor of theirs, and it didn't cost us a thing!

Countless times, God has provided for us that way. It reminded me that trust in God is my greatest tool in fighting off stress. Only when I turn my burdens over to Him can I have peaceful, non-grinding sleep. He has everything under control.
 

the "new" microwave--compliments of God

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Having made the journey myself with MTBI, my first thought in reading your posts was "how fortunate to have a spouse so dedicated in sickness and health." The healing process is difficult in its self, but add no support system, it can be devestating.

I also served briefly on Nebraska Brain Injury Assoication as a survivor. Presently looking for ways to help the many veterans coming home with this life altering injury.

Being new in the blogging world, but very excited, I look forward to posting some of my personal experiences in the MTBI healing process.

Thank you for sharing your experience as a caregiver,

Melody

Teresa said...

Welcome, Melody, to blogging! I'm sure you have an interesting perspective to share.

That support system is indeed valuable. Can't picture my husband on his own right now.

I find many TBI-ers who look to God as part of that system too. If you didn't know Him at the beginning, you will, at some point, it seems, add Him to your team.