Saturday, August 9, 2014

This Battered Life

A few blogposts ago, I reported my long-due visit to the dentist. Well, this has turned out to be a sinus problem rather than a dental one. I am taking a daily antihistamine and using a sinus rinse quite frequently and the facial pain I have experienced all these months has wondrously disappeared. Being on oxygen for nine years must be very drying on the nasal passages.

But now there's this sore on the bridge of my nose (been there for weeks) and it just keeps getting worse. It couldn't be in a worse place--right where my nasal mask hits. The doctor suggested not using the bi-pap for awhile or changing masks (which I will be able to do this coming week, when Medicare will pay for another type of mask).

But doing without the bi-pap is just not an option for me. I have tried cutting down on its use and napping during the day without it, with just the oxygen feed, and for a couple of hours at night. But it feels like going into a boxing match without gloves or any protection. I wake up feeling pretty battered.

This has reminded me of waking up at the Resurrection when Jesus comes. We won't feel battered then. We'll wake up as refreshed as the day we were born. But even better. For gone will be all our human frailties, our petty health grievances. The Master Physician has a whole new body to give us--one that won't wear out or grow old. No more birth defects (like my scoliosis) or brain injuries from having tractors run over us (like my husband). Now that's one kind of waking up I won't mind a bit!





4 comments:

deb m said...

It will be sooooo wonderful and nice to wake up to a new body and mind. I can't wait!

Teresa said...

The first thing I'll do when I wake up is take a deep breath! Don't think I've ever had one, so can imagine it will be quite refreshing.

(Dean can't wait for his ears not to stick out.) :)

Anonymous said...

I know this is from an older blog, but if you're still having this sore on the nose problem, try putting on a bandaid to protect the skin before putting on the Bipap. I do this for my mom, & it helps her!

Teresa said...

Thanks for the tip. It seems to me I ended up trying the bandaid at the time, and it did end up helping.