Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Mystery Whistler

As many married folk have been known to do, we have accused each other of snoring during the night, with expected denials by the accused party.

Last night was no different. Once again, just as I would be about to drop off to sleep, I repeatedly found myself awakened by an annoying whistling sound that just had to be coming from one of Dean's famous snoring episodes.

Curiously enough he would stop whistling the minute I woke up, turned off my bi-pap machine, took off my nasal mask, and began to ask him to stop making the noise. After about the third time, it began to dawn on me that my nasal mask must have been losing its "seal" and causing the offending whistle. Dean had informed me that sometimes I whistled in my sleep, but I naturally didn't believe him.

Jesus' plea came alive for me: "Judge not...why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?" (Matthew 7:3) For me it would be "why do you accuse your husband of snoring, but do not consider your own annoying whistles?"

Even caregivers need to take their eyes off others and look at their own needy selves for a reality check now and then.

Machine that gave me a whistle and a laugh!



2 comments:

dellgirl said...

Not to laugh at you guys, but my husband and I had the same thing happen. He was always nudging me to wake up and turn over because I was snoring.

Then, several years ago the tables turned. I caught HIM snoring. Now we take turns waking each other up to turn over to stop the snoring.

Teresa said...

It's OK to laugh. What doesn't make us laugh makes us cry, right?!

Fortunately, we've trained ourselves to sleep through most of each others' sleep disturbances. This one really struck me as funny though, since I was keeping MYSELF awake!