Monday, August 6, 2018

Brother Time

July was a wonderful month for me, as I got to reconnect with my sister and then my brother, who both live miles away, not only from me, but from each other. One of these days we will have to plan some quality time for the three of us together, like I've enjoyed with each of them separately this summer.

The Outer Banks of North Carolina may be advertised as a quality vacation spot for families, but the only attraction for me was my family who lives there. Isn't family the greatest attraction God has created for us? Of course, it is. And I took full advantage of it during my always-too-brief visit with them.

Of course, we did have our "token" beach time in North Carolina, bringing back childhood memories of splashing in the waves, sinking our toes in the sand, and soaking up the sun. I have lived in the glorious, mountainous Northwest, and now enjoy the green, rolling prairies of the Midwest, but I also love the sandy, white beaches of our country's shorelines.

Maybe it's the sounds and smells of the seashore that make it so special as part of God's creative handiwork. You can't hear the mountains or the prairie, except for occasional bird calls or insect sounds (although one is attracted to the peaceful silence there). But when you find yourself on a beach, your senses are instantly engaged fully. The sight of water as far as the eye can see, the roaring sound of waves crashing, even the salty smell from the ocean water, wash over and engulf you, drawing you close to God.

However wonderful my time in nature was though, I still felt especially close to God by the opportunity to spend time with my brother and his family again. My mind is filled with thankfulness and yearning to be with them more. I can't wait for heaven, where we'll have an eternity to enjoy each other's company. I have faith that, not only will my husband be there, who I miss dearly, but also many of my loved ones. Now, there's a vacation/reunion I don't want to miss!

My brother Everett--missing you again already!



No comments: