Wednesday, December 26, 2018

My Annual Christmas Letter/Blog

Dear family and friends,
For the last thirty years, I have written a newsy family letter to accompany my Christmas cards, no matter what chaotic circumstances made up our personal lives at the time. Even after I started blogging online and discovered instant contact through social media, there's been this driving force to document the year's events in a special letter, send them out to our many friends across the country. It wasn't a chore at all, but a pleasure I actually looked forward to from year to year.

But this year, I just didn’t have the same desire to reflect and share the activities of the Thompson household. Dean, my husband, is gone (as of February 2, 2018), and no matter how I try to put a gleeful spin on that fact, it just won't come out on paper in a way that adds to the holiday joy of the season.

With his funeral now comfortingly documented on video, I have spent the rest of the year, pouring myself into blogging for Outlook magazine, carrying out various church responsibilities (including church clerk, communications secretary, and Sabbath school superintendent--it's a small church), and enjoying our two granddaughters every chance I get.

It seems odd to go on errands or to a friend's house and not feel tethered to Dean's care anymore (returning home to check on his care, either by phone or in person). But whenever I think of that freedom as a positive in my life, I also experience a twinge of guilt.

I try not to think of my new widow status as something better or worse in my life. It's just different. There was just as much satisfaction and joy in being Dean's caregiver all those years, as it is to care about other things and for other people now.

Have a merry, happy New Year...you all mean the world to me!
Love and prayers,

Teresa

Here are some photographic remembrances that comfort me, and help me wait for the grand Resurrection Morning when Jesus comes again to take us all to heaven, as He promised in John 14:1-3. "Let not your heart be troubled...I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also." Come, Lord Jesus, come!






No comments: