Sunday, December 1, 2019

Basking in Memories

How could a whole month slip through my fingers, as I see it is already December 1st on the calendar? I must confess, I have fought writing about anything too personal as we march closer and closer to the holidays. Just spent a lovely Thanksgiving with my daughter's in-laws, and am so grateful they include me in their gatherings. Would be a lonely time indeed without them. Stanleys, you are the best!

Then, there's Dean's birthday on December 4th. That will be a hard day for me. I always tried to make it as pleasant and happy a time for Dean as I could. Of course, that became harder each year toward the end, but he always got enjoyment out of anything I would plan. Anything that brought friends over was a hit. He just thrived on the company of others. His stories were legendary. And his jokes, even after hearing them multiple times, never ceased to bring a smile. Yes, people were always the best gift you could give this man of mine. The bigger the party, the better. I thank each and every one of you who made it out to our little "come and go's" each year.

Mulling over memories may not be the best way to increase faith. But I do feel my faith grow as I ponder these things. I don't have a choice really. I could sink lower and lower into the sadness of past times, or let my faith soar in the visions of what life will be like when Jesus comes. I choose the latter. Dean will have the party of his life, when the trump of God calls him from his resting place, and I join him in the air on our way to the Promised Land. In the meantime, I'll bask in the memories and plan for the future.

Times weren't perfect, but there were happy moments like this one...another Dec. birthday.

No comments: