Thursday, February 4, 2016

Eternal Respite

A friend and I recently attended a training session for respite providers. I told her later that she was already providing respite for a caregiver by attending the seminar with me, a caregiver.

I'm sure she would be good at providing others respite, or rest, from caregiving too though. She has a friendly, confident, positive attitude that both caregivers and care recipients would love to be around. Just to know Betty is to have respite, in my book. I'm glad she's my friend.

But here's some of the reasons I crave and need respite.

At home...
  1. to enjoy a quiet house (no television noise)
  2. to have more dietary choices (trying to watch his weight and mine isn't easy)
  3. to be able to have an uninterrupted hot shower or phone conversation
Out of the house...
  1. to complete shopping or errands in a leisurely, unhurried fashion (fortunately, I can still leave Dean home alone long enough to accomplish this...most of the time)
  2. to be with friends or groups that allow me to forget I'm a caregiver, at least in the immediate sense (going to our church choir practices or walking at the mall with a friend)
  3. to make me feel like a whole person on my own, with the option of helping other caregivers as I'm able (attending meetings that advocate for caregivers)
I'm so fortunate to have outside care and chore providers for Dean these last few years. He still attends an adult day program three times a week. Plus a bath aide comes to help prevent falls in the shower. And a home health nurse helps monitor his symptoms and manage his medications.

I don't think I could have survived these last sixteen years without the support I've had.

And I don't want to leave out one avenue of support. We all have access to God. His services are free and absolutely essential for handling the daily crises that arise in our very unpredictable lives.

As my favorite verse says, "casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." I Peter 5:7 Don't ever feel that, as a caregiver, you aren't cared for too! There is a God who cares for all of us. And His respite will last an eternity.


No comments: