Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Best We Can

We're waiting for the results of Dean's second sleep study. We know in our hearts what the "verdict" will be--they will recommend a C-PAP again. The part I'm sweating about is how we'll ever get him to comply with this extreme adjustment. He has gotten used to wearing one, and I've seen him wear it all night quite often. But as with many of his assistive devices it tends to go through spells of neglect.

The hardest part to admit is that this mirrors my prayer and devotional life. There will be spells of spiritual fervor when I get immersed in the presence of God, but these are interspersed with drought, when I'm lucky to feel even a sprinkling of His blessing.

I must remember this very human phenomenon and know that God mercifully makes allowances for it. I'm sure even the disciples and early church believers experienced ups and downs in their religious practice. That's why God recommended that they fast and take times to separate themselves from the multitudes for fasting, prayer, and spiritual renewal.

I know that wearing a C-PAP for Dean is a very healthy thing for him to do. But just as actively and fervently seeking God is the most "healthy" thing I can do for my soul, God makes allowances for me when my religious zeal is less than robust.

I must not be anxious about Dean, but trust that overall, we are doing the best we can...and that is all God expects of us.


No comments: