Sunday, September 9, 2012

Balance

Don't know when I've felt as sick as I was this afternoon and evening. Oh, yeah, it was when I went to an emergency room a few years back for a migraine. Today I was so nauseous with a headache, I didn't eat all day, except a little applesauce before bedtime. And I turned down babysitting for two of the sweetest granddaughters around (my own, of course)!

I've finally discovered by my own research that my headaches, which I get every few weeks, but which last more than one day, are related to carbon dioxide buildup in my blood. When you've had respiratory failure like mine and are on oxygen therapy, it can happen.

Problem is I don't need oxygen much during the day. I mostly use it at night. But it seems when I'm particularly active, or skip my naps (with oxygen and bi-pap machine), I tend to have these headaches for awhile. Just hard to regulate how much oxygen I need, since I'm not on it all the time. (The opposite effect of having too much oxygen is feeling dizzy all the time. I've been that route too.) Finally woke up at midnight tonight and noticed the headache was gone. And what a relief it was to feel like myself again.

Balancing oxygen and carbon dioxide, like balancing all areas of life, is really tricky. Only when God, properly understood, fills your life can you have true balance. How great it is to feel like yourself--your best self, the one God intended.

No comments: