Monday, September 10, 2012

Remembering to Ask

It amazes me what Dean has the power to remember and what he forgets, as he struggles with his dementia memory loss. No matter how conscientious we are about asking a blessing before we eat, for instance, there are times when we all forget to say a blessing before a meal, and this is not considered out of the ordinary. Once in awhile, Dean even forgets.

But there is another time when Dean virtually never forgets to ask a blessing. It is whenever he is about to open the Word of God or study anything of a spiritual nature. He always opens and closes our worship times with prayer to ask the Holy Spirit to guide our minds to a right understanding of the Scriptures. In all our years of marriage, I have seldom seen him forget this very important practice.

As we began our worship just this morning, I took note that it is usually Dean who remembers to ask for the blessing of our spiritual food, the Bread of heaven. His presence is always welcome, but I know even God likes an invitation. Jesus counseled us to form this habit when He said, "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" Luke 11:13

There you have it. We have only to ask.

P.S. During our closing prayer this morning, Dean almost forgot MY NAME! I told you it was amazing.

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Teresa, I remember with my mom, she had long term memory and short term loss. She would remember things from years ago, if I asked her what she just ate for lunch, no more than 10 minutes after, she wouldn't remember..

Teresa said...

Sounds familiar. Dean didn't actually forget my name, but he hesitated long enough before he said it during the prayer, I asked him afterward if he forgot. Said he was thinking of Kayla, our daughter, mixing us up. I do that too with the granddaughters' names. But Dean is getting more consistent with it.