Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Getting My Voice Back

I was flattered when the studio director at Christian Record Services called me recently to ask if I'd like to start narrating again, after a winter off. After a couple of tries, I guess I'm back on the volunteer reader list. I've always enjoyed reading to children in my classes, so I just pretend I'm reading to a group of eager young listeners, even though the setting is more like a professional radio broadcasting studio.

It's been a mystery to me how people can say they like the sound of my voice on their audio books. I have a couple of blind friends who have told me they enjoy my reading, but I question whether they are saying it just to make me feel good.

Calvin, the studio director, explained to me that we always sound different to ourselves, because we are hearing through our own ears and heads, from the inside out, not the outside in. Our heads evidently have a way of cushioning or insulating our voice, giving it a different sound than others hear.

I'm thankful there is a God who hears us, both inside and out, and loves us anyway. Now that's the real mystery.

 (See  www.christianrecord.org to help the blind have Christian reading materials.)

No comments: