Sunday, June 17, 2012

Tradition!

We had a pleasant time around here today when my daughter's family came over and grilled our lunch outside for Father's Day. Nothing touches my husband more these days than the mention of food. Especially when it includes meat, which I never cook for him. And to watch the little girls play in the wade pool and later with their dollies on a blanket on the grass was an added joy for all of us.

My daughter Kayla and I were bringing back memories when I put The Fiddler on the Roof movie on while they were here. I have always loved the songs on that musical, and besides, it's about a father. Seemed fitting on Father's Day, right? It was funny to hear both of us belting out the songs, and even mimicking the dances. "...Tradition..."!!!

When we had watched as much of the movie as the menfolk would allow, I reminded Kayla that what her girls were listening to and watching today would be with them for the rest of their lives, just like those songs had become a part of her life from listening to them so much when she was very small. I was sobered to think that my influence and tastes were passed along so easily. "...Tradition...!!!

I pray that all parents, mothers and fathers, will take to heart the seriousness of their responsibility to their children. Is what you are doing with them today worth being passed down to later generations? Because that's how far-reaching our influence is. Even as a grandparent, I share that responsibility. I pray that my influence will always be pure and loving to them. Besides being a responsibility, it's a privilege. "...Tradition...!!!

No comments: