Friday, June 15, 2012

Who Ate the Peaches?


We have an ornamental peach tree in our backyard and the peaches are finally looking ripe. At least they are getting a pink color on them. I say "looking" because, they are still hard as rocks and taste extremely bitter. In years past, I just can't seem to get much of a harvest out of them. By the time, they become edible at all, the insects and birds have gotten to them. Besides, the ones that end up on the ground start smelling and are quite a nuisance.

But today I saw a squirrel feasting on a peach on one of the lower tree branches. I thought to myself, at least someone is enjoying them. It was comical to watch him whittle that peach down. It was like the first radishes we ate from our garden. Or the first watermelon we will get at the Farmer's Market here soon. He was thoroughly enjoying every bite.

I see now that something I didn't value very much, the peaches on my tree, are valuable to someone--those pesky little squirrels.

Likewise, the fruits of my labor may not seem very important, even to me. But someone is going to be blessed by them.

Here's a picture of the peach the squirrel left on my tree ornament. He was eating it right above sleeping grandpa here. Good way to "pass the buck".


No comments: