Friday, August 17, 2012

Bloody Elbow

When Kayla, our daughter, came back from a store with her dad today, she had good news and bad news. He was walking in the store with his two little granddaughters on each side, holding their hands. They came to a step that went down and four-year-old Jenna said, as she's heard us do, "There's a step here, Grampa." He has very poor, lower peripheral vision.

But her warning was a second too late. As Dean started to go down, he pushed Jenna out of the way and let go of Julia's hand before he kissed the ground. He had a bleeding elbow to show for his accidental acrobatic show, but at least the girls were out of harm's way. Hence the bad and the good news.

There is a lesson for my daughter to learn with each outing. Last time she learned not to let him hold one of the girls. This time she discovered that even holding their hands can lead to disaster.

I remember one of the last times Grandpa went with them, Jenna told me with her good-bye that they would take good care of Grandpa. So young, but wise to recognize his limitations with dementia and brain injury.

And I'm likewise impressed with Dean's ability to always protect his granddaughters as much as he can, even if it will mean more injury to himself. God is indeed speaking to him and helping him with those kind of quick reflexes.

I hope I can always put others first in my relationships, just like Jesus has done for me.

No comments: