Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Does Our Vote Count?

I opted out of writing a blog last night. Got distracted, and then the State of the Union address came on and I knew it wasn't going to happen after that. Actually, I confess to falling asleep before the speech was over. So much for my strong, patriotic fervor.

It just seems like, as a nation, we should listen to our president, no matter who he is, at least once a year for this traditional event of the "State of the Union". This is an election year, however, so it's not the easiest time for a presidential speech to be given. You want to make yourself look good, in hopes of getting elected another four years. And you will make promises for the future that have little chance of seeing the light of day. I don't blame a president for wanting another four years though. Four years is barely enough time to learn the ropes of the office, let alone make significant changes in the country.

I started to find myself more interested in our government and hence, politics, since 9/11. I suppose it just gives me a greater sense of security to know what's going on. But I have found out that the only security we have is with our God. The Bible says He sets up kingdoms and brings them down. So I believe that, no matter who is in office, we can trust God to make it work out to fulfill His will. That's what I pray for--God's will to be fulfilled. We know His will is for sin to come to an end, but only God knows how and when that will happen.

Does my vote count then? Yes. I will continue to vote for the man I feel has the best "job experience". I can't even pretend to know his heart though. That is totally up to God.

No comments: