Saturday, January 21, 2012

"Doing Church"

One thing that was said at a vespers service at church last night has given me alot to think about. After a rousing song service, the visiting preacher, knowing it was a college campus gathering, said at the very beginning how happy he was that they were all there, not to "do church", but to worship the Living God. It was blisteringly cold outside, by the way, which indicated the devotion of those who did make it out and over to the church sanctuary in subzero weather.

Since today was God's day of worship, I once again attended my usual place of worship with fellow believers. And I have given that expression about "doing church" some examination. Does coming to church every week constitute just "doing church" or is the act of regular attendance a sign that you are doing it for the proper reason of worshiping God?

After all, if we have a serious intention of worshiping God as prescribed in His Holy Word, won't we be found in God's house every week? The Bible says that Jesus had a custom of being in the synagogue on the Sabbath. (Luke 4:16)

Would it be fair to say that people who attend church sporadically just as possibly could be only "doing church"? Perhaps out of a sense of duty, to appease their conscience, or to satisfy a family member? Sad to say, I guess those scenarios could apply to regular churchgoers as well though.

As for me, I would find it hard to be serious about God without regular attendance. I need my "God fix" every week, and evidently God needs our weekly worship in a church setting. (Don't get me wrong here. I recognize there are some individuals who are prohibited from attending for very valid and solid reasons.) Let's remember though that God's church is the vehicle for proclaiming the gospel. It's not a spectator sport, but rather a team sport. And you can't be on the team, if you don't show up for practice and games EVERY WEEK!

No comments: