Monday, January 9, 2012

Story Time at the Library

Monday morning is "toddler story time" at our local public library and I accompanied my granddaughters and their mother to the event this morning. Naturally, my eyes were mostly zeroed in on my two precious girls, as they watched and responded to the story and animated songs that the teacher presented to the small group sitting on the floor in front of her.

There is a difference in Jenna's responses now. She didn't used to participate in any of the motions that the teacher encouraged them to do, but as she's become more familiar with it all, she's become less shy and more at ease with the clapping, foot stomping, and whatever else the songs demand.

As a matter of fact, I observed three levels of activity with the youngsters there today. Some were very shy about participating, like Jenna used to be. Then there were others, like Jenna now, who were just beginning to open up and enjoy being part of the group. But there was also one or two, who were very vocal and not the least bit shy about sharing anything and everything. In other words, the ones that caused the librarian to put her finger to her lips the most often.

I wonder where I might fall on this spectrum of group dynamics. As adults, we probably all fall into one of the categories at different times and in different settings. But when it comes to my witnessing for the Lord, I hope I can be like the most vocal youngster there and be willing to share Jesus anytime and anywhere. When my Master Teacher tells me to be quiet, I'll comply...but it won't be easy.

No comments: