Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dying to Self, Not Sin

This was one of those days that didn't feel very productive. But then again, maybe it was. I gave the dog a bath, made some delicious split pea soup for supper, and brought my granddaughter to a church youth meeting in the evening. In between those highlights, there was just your regular being-here-for-him kind of caregiving. Were it not for me, he probably wouldn't have seen so many DIFFERENT episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show.

How does one measure productivity? Maybe we shouldn't look at it on a daily basis. The months and years are what really count, aren't they? But Paul said in the Bible, "I die daily." We usually think of that as dying to sin, but perhaps it would be more accurate to say we die to self. That could be a significant difference. One is saying you refrain from doing something and the other is saying you actually should be doing something.

My day may have actually been very productive if I see it from the standpoint of dying to self. I guess I may have accomplished alot after all. I think I'll say good-bye to self again tomorrow. It felt pretty good.

No comments: