Friday, March 23, 2012

My Ice Cream Lover

After visiting the doctor with Dean today, he was begging for some ice cream or a shake on the way home. So I stopped at a small grocery store and let him go in to buy some ice cream, since my foot still isn't very walkable. He had to use my debit card, so he wrote the four p.i.n. numbers down on a slip of paper before going in with the card. I was hoping for the best, the whole time he was gone.

The bag looked quite large that he brought back to the car. Not surprisingly, he also purchased a box of candy and a big bag of chips, along with the ice cream. They were reasonably priced, so I couldn't say much. But I was wishing that it was a loaf of bread instead, being so close to the end of the month.

Isn't this how we all are? We see one thing we like, and then can't resist some more of something else that catches our eye. It's called impulsive buying.

I like the Sabbath because it causes us to slow down and reduces this impulsiveness. On the Sabbath we have a purpose and that sole purpose is to worship our Creator. Forget the trinkets of the world, all the junk foods, all the junk toys. It is God we are to remember. With Him you might not even crave ice cream. Wouldn't that be nice?

No comments: