Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Slipping on Slippers


In the morning, I help my husband with his shoes and socks. Ever since he hurt his foot last summer, he needs this assistance, and I'm afraid I have the job for life. He just seems helpless when I try to get him to do it on his own. The shoes are slippers with Velcro. You'd think he could master them. But it's just easier to accommodate him and do it myself.

Later in the day, after he'd taken his slippers off, our daughter and granddaughters came over for awhile. In order to go outside and see them, I noticed that the slippers miraculously appeared on his feet, without my helping them get there. Without even thinking, he put them on all by himself.

Our obedience to God is somewhat like this. We obey each day, with God as our constant Helper. But someday, that obedience will become second nature to us, hopefully soon after baptism, and we will start obeying without even thinking about it. Our will will become so blended with God's will, that whatever we do, it will just be carrying out the will of our Father. Fortunately, we have our whole lifetime to work on this. But the possibility is there for everyone. God makes it possible. We do it for Him and by Him.

No comments: