Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Teddy or Grizzly

I can't decide if he's a Teddy or a grizzly...bear, that is. Thankfully, it's mostly the former. The grizzly side only comes out when he gets his fur ruffled. Most of you may have already guessed I'm referring to my precious spouse. I have grown rather fond of his grizzly issues though. They are so short-lived. So fleeting. If you blink, you would be asking yourself, was that a grizzly that just passed by our living room? We see it in children all the time. With most adults, anger is so much more complicated.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Just thinking of my Teddy tonight. We both are going through some wild health problems here recently. He doesn't seem to lose any faith over it though. Part of dementia is developing childlike qualities. Jesus said once that we need to be like children to be first in His kingdom.

So, I'm wondering about other mentally challenged adults. That would include those with Down's syndrome and other developmental challenges too. Are they indeed closer to God than we are? I'm sure God has a special place for them in His heart.

Yet they are the very ones our society rejects, bullies, and ignores. Maybe all we're seeing is the grizzly bear and forgetting that Teddy is not far away.

No comments: