Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Food for Thought...and Service

Today I started my monthly grocery shopping and once again tried to keep one rule in mind, due to working with very limited funds. There's a verse in Isaiah 55:2 that says, "Why do you spend money on what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And let your soul delight itself in abundance."

Now I realize in context this is speaking about listening to God, and therefore feeding on His Word, but I think we can also take to heart the part about eating what is good and apply it to the vast food offerings we have in our stores these days. So much of it is not good and in some cases could hardly even be considered "real" bread or food.

Making wise food choices will keep our minds sharp and our bodies fit, which in turn equips us for better service to God. Let's honor Him in the grocery store and in our kitchens and you'll find as I have, that you CAN eat  healthy on a very tight budget. Dean and I, on retirement earnings, are eating better than we ever have, and we thank God for continuing to help us improve our diets.

No comments: