Thursday, November 17, 2011

Shoofly Pie

Tonight I made a shoofly pie. I had heard of them in books, but had no idea what they would taste like. The name came from the fact that the pie was so sweet that flies would have to be shooed away from them while they were out cooling. The main ingredient of molasses was offset by the zest and juice of two lemons in the Amish recipe I used, so I think it came out about right in the sweetness category.

Isn't this like one's personality? Sweet communication is, of course, to be desired, but we do need a balance of firm resolve and serious contemplation. When Jesus is an ingredient in our personality recipe, we will attract people, just like my pie would attract flies...if I hadn't slapped mine in a pie container! Not taking any chances!!! Now I just have to figure out a way to shoo people away from it. My husband has already been in the kitchen asking for a second piece and the night isn't over. My daughter's family is coming over with some homemade lemon sherbet to go with it. Yummmmm...

No comments: