Saturday, November 5, 2011

Frosty the Snowman Warmed Me Up

Tonight I happened to be in a department store, had made my purchases, and was waiting for someone I was with to finish shopping. Sitting there, I had time to notice the music playing on the intercom, and you guessed it, it was Christmas music.

Maybe because it's so early in the season, but I was rather enjoying the mood it was designed to create. How can you not smile at "Frosty, the Snowman", I mean the old Burl Ives version from when I was a kid? Forget that the rationale behind the music was to prepare you to start your Christmas shopping and spend all your money, before the mad December rush.

But then my thoughts went to another preparation time, one we are asked to make every week. On Friday, called the preparation day in the Bible, we are called to prepare our homes for the Sabbath. But isn't God mostly interested in the preparation of our hearts?

Next week, I'm going to make sure I listen to some good quality worship music WHILE I busy myself with the many Friday housekeeping chores, so my heart and spirit will also be prepared for the sacred event of the Sabbath. Music--let it create your mood too!

No comments: