Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Seeking the Lost

Today I drove 50 miles to help with a caregiver awareness event at the veteran's hospital. It turned out to be a rather small affair--just three tables, but there was alot of traffic in the lobby due to free boxed lunches the Red Cross were passing out to people.

I was encouraged by one passerby, a young lady and her little boy. She saw the information about brain injury on my display board and related how she had fallen down some stairs. She recognized some of her symptoms in the brochures I showed her. I told her about some of the resources available to help her and she seemed truly appreciative.

As I was driving home today, I compared in my mind how much more thrilling it is to see and help someone on a personal level, as opposed to reaching them with a media barrage or even some big event or conference.

And it's the same with our witnessing methods. We have to vary our approach, just as Christ did. He spoke to the multitudes, yes--but He also shared the gospel with one woman drawing water from a well. I pray the Lord will lead me to the "lost sheep", but also to that one lone little lamb, wandering off on his own.

1 comment:

Everett Fifield III said...

Good prayer... my current philosophy on witnessing is that we need to be sure and listen to God and let the Holy Spirit lead us. Because we are to be his instruments and medium letting Him do His work through us. Only he can truly change the hearts of men. As He lives in us, we reflect His love and kindness that in itself is a "witness" to the one God.

This excerpt from Max Lucado's book "It's Not About Me" expresses it like this:
REDUCE THE HUMAN JOB DESCRIPTION DOWN TO ONE PHRASE, AND THIS IS IT "REFLECT GOD'S GLORY."HE SENDS THE MESSAGE; WE REFLECT IT.