Thursday, November 10, 2011

Who Has a Flashlight?

A few days ago I desperately needed a flashlight to go down in my parents' totally dark basement to turn on their furnace. The house has been empty for months now, and we are hoping to sell it soon. But I was worried about the water in the pipes freezing and needed to get that furnace on again.

My dad would never have been caught without a flashlight and we found numerous ones of various sizes and styles in their house and in his car as we emptied them out, including boxes of batteries. I was driving his car now and believe it or not, there was not one flashlight left in the car and I was fifty miles from my own house! Where did all his flashlights go? I knocked on two doors in their neighborhood and both of them said they had no flashlights either. I was forced to go to a nearby convenience store and purchase one.

Driving home, I thought about disaster preparedness and how totally unprepared many of our homes are without even a flashlight--the most basic of all security items. Are we this unprepared in our spiritual lives too? The Lord is coming soon. If your neighbor knocked on your door for some Holy Spirit, would you have to send him to the store to get some?

No comments: