Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Penguin Confetti

This evening I was with my three-year-old granddaughter and we worked on a small paper project--coloring the parts of a penguin, cutting them out, and pasting them together. After some attempts at coloring, I gave her a pair of safety scissors and she began cutting away. She repeatedly refused my offer to help cut, even though her penguin soon began to take the shape of, well...confetti.

Throughout the time we spent on our little "craft", I kept telling myself that the end product was not as important as the fun and skill acquired by the process used to get there. In other words, our adult definition of success (having a wonderful product to show for our effort) may not be the same for someone younger (the thrill of discovery and learning through the experience).

How does God measure success? Well, I know He doesn't measure our love by how much we love our friends, but by how much we love our enemies. And He doesn't measure our faith by how we trust Him when things are going wonderfully in our lives, but by how much we trust Him when trials and suffering are all around us. How much love and faith will God find in your life? Are you ready for HIS measure of success?

No comments: