Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Candy Gratification

Christmas is creeping up on us much too fast. Today when I was in a store looking for something for the granddaughters, I realized that I hadn't gotten anything for my husband yet. One of the standard things for him to open on Christmas has always been a box of candy. So he found the one he craved and I got it for him.

Unfortunately, he ripped the box open in the car on the way home, offering me two chocolate covered cherries, which I accepted, while he pillaged the rest of the top half of the box before we got home! I tried to sneak the rest of the box, or what was left of it, into the house to wrap it. But he discovered my secret and couldn't wait to dive into the rest of the candy. I had to say good-bye to some of my best gift wrapping paper in the process, but such is the life of a caregiver.

This scenario reminded me of how I pillage God's plans sometimes. I dive into a project or an activity, without thoroughly testing it in the waters of God's design for my life. How I must spoil His fun by my desires for instant gratification. Help me, Lord, to wait on you, to postpone my pleasure for an eternity of beauty and love.

No comments: