Thursday, December 29, 2011

Unexpected Gift

Today I received an unexpected gift from a home health nurse. She will be coming here weekly to assess my husband's medical needs. But bless her heart she noticed that his fingernails were getting pretty long and she talked him into letting her cut them for him. I've been trying to get this accomplished for six months now, so you can imagine my joy when the task was done. I told her as she left that she had just given me my best Christmas gift.

A tiny bit of normalcy has returned to our household with this one, seemingly trivial, event. I have come to treasure all the tiny details in my life though. It's like having a zoom lens on a camera. Caregiving can do that to you. Or being a parent. Or anything that causes you to focus on someone besides yourself.

Joy comes through the simplest of gifts, viewed with God's" zoom lens." Look for them. They are all around us. I'll see one of mine every time my husband takes my hand.

No comments: