Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pulling Out Drawers

Have you ever pulled a drawer out too far and spilled all the contents? My granddaughter did that very thing today. I didn't chide her for it. Heaven knows, I've done it myself a few times. But I did encourage her to put the things back in the drawer and put it back the way it was.

Thinking about the incident, I was reminded how many times I've grabbed hold of a problem and pulled at it with all my might. All too often, I'm left with a mess at my feet and lots of work to get things back to normal.

But there's still something positive gained from the experience. In putting things "back in the drawer" I am put in touch with what was "IN the drawer." Benefits include something found that was lost, things are more organized when I am done, and I am just forced to slow down and take stock of the situation and what resources I have to help with the problem.

So, although "pulling out drawers" isn't recommended in every situation, when it does happen, take advantage of the event and grow from it.

No comments: