Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Angels in the Room

All morning I fretted about what to say to my sister-in-law after the tragic death of Dean's brother yesterday. Words just can't convey the heartache she must be going through. And I truly didn't know what I could say that would bring her any comfort. There was no answer when I dialed her number, and I could only leave a message on her cell. I thought I was getting off the hook, at least for a short while.

Then Dean came home from his day program and after a short discussion about his brother, he wanted to call Roseanne. I was hesitant, because Dean's dementia can make him ramble on a bit long, and I didn't know if Roseanne could handle that. But I was amazed when he called, at how he said just the right things at all the right times to her, and he even asked if he could have prayer with her. She not only agreed, but said she was putting him on speaker phone so all the family there could hear him. As nervous as I was with this arrangement, Dean led an impeccably perfect prayer. I felt there were angels in the room, with wings that reached all the way to Idaho on phone wires.

Although he admits to not shedding tears himself over the loss of his only brother, God used him to comfort a grieving widow today. His emotions may not be intact, but his empathy is alive and well. I will treasure his words for a time when I may be that grieving widow.

No comments: