Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Building Lasagna

As I "built" my lasagna for supper tonight, it struck me that there are an infinite number of ways to make lasagna, and I have tried alot of them. It's somewhat of a surprise to see how delicious it turns out most of the time. I've come to the conclusion that it must be pretty hard to make a bad lasagna. I have had lasagna that's too soupy or too dry, but those seem to be about the only flaws one can make.

While I pondered this, I remembered a phone conversation with my sister earlier in the day. We were talking about parenting, and how different our adult children's lives can be. Shouldn't they all turn out the same, if they have the same parents? Evidently not. We "build" our children, using different ingredients, in different amounts, and in a different order. Just like lasagna. We can only hope our efforts are rewarded, as they turn into adults. That is our desire and that is how we have planned them to turn out. It's hard to understand how hopes are sometimes dashed.

Jesus must have had similar disappointments and questions, considering the sorry state His disciples were in, even right up to the Last Supper. It took a miracle to get them to the place of growing and leading the early church. And miracles can still happen for our adult children. Our faith and prayers are just as valuable as our parenting skills, or even lack of them. Parents can make a difference, even after the children have long left our home and care. Just pray without ceasing. I Thess. 5:17

No comments: