Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tax Refund Wait

This time of year many people are waiting for their income tax refunds to arrive. I think most people are ACTIVELY waiting. In other words, they are "making a list" for how they will spend that refund money. My nephew was actively waiting for his and when it arrived he instantly knew which store to visit first. The money was already spent in his mind and it didn't take long for it to get spent in the store.

We Christians are looking forward to a place in heaven. Are we ACTIVELY waiting for it though? Can you picture yourself there, having a picnic by the river of life or entertaining friends in your own customized mansion? What academic pursuits are you looking forward to pursuing there? Being a librarian, I want to browse through the books of life. I've always loved biographies. If you're an animal lover, you will have any species you desire to study or just lavish with love. For the medically inclined, to study the wonder of how our bodies operate will still be a fascination worth your attention.

I used to think my mother spent too much time talking about heaven--that it was a sign of old age to focus on our future in eternity, when there was so much to do yet here on earth. But now I believe her inclination to think and talk so much about heaven was just an indication of growing closer to God. The longer we live, the closer we get to our Maker, and the greater the longing to actually be in His presence in heaven. I find myself these days starting to "make a list". Heaven can't come soon enough--just like our tax refunds.

No comments: