Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sleeper Cold

You've heard of forced labor. Well, today I practiced forced rest. With this sleeper cold I have, it's tempting to go about the day's housework and activities as if everything was normal. But of course, I know that the dry, hacking, ribs-breaking cough is enough to exhaust my body as much as any physical exertion. Even though I can pretend the coughing isn't really that big a deal. If I keep busy I won't even notice that it's there. Until it gets so bad I end up with pneumonia or bronchitis.

Isn't that how we treat some kinds of sin in our life? It's an annoying occurrence, but it really doesn't call for much concern. If I stay busy enough, it won't seem so bad. Besides, it could be far worse than it is. I'm sure it will just go away on its own, without any particular action on my part.

But will it really? That's what I like about the Sabbath. It's a time of rest that enables me to notice the "coughs" in my life and do something about them. Not a forced rest, but one that is highly recommended by the Great Healer himself.

No comments: