Friday, February 24, 2012

Dean's Chat with God

Dean and I had different opinions about which radio station to listen to on the way to the doctor's office this afternoon, so we agreed to turn the radio off. I said I was going to use the time for silent prayer, hoping it would discourage him from telling me how to drive. Well, Dean thought prayer was a good idea, but his wasn't silent. He prayed out loud all the way across town, and it was quite an experience to hear his easygoing friendly chat with God. I almost expected to turn around and see God sitting in our backseat.

Isn't this how our prayer dialogue should be though? Just a one-on-one conversation with our best friend. He even pointed out the colorful sunset that was about to dress up the sky. As if God needed him to draw His attention to His own work of art.

The Sabbath hours have begun now and I pray I can be as intimate with God this day as Dean was on our car ride. After all, that's what the day was designed for. Of course, we're close to God all through the week, but on Sabbath, a day He has blessed, He especially wants our undivided attention. Every time I turn around, I know God will be especially close.

No comments: