Sunday, February 19, 2012

Silent Auction

My parents passed away a little over a year ago now and we are still trying to find a place for some of their earthly belongings. We had some items in a silent auction this weekend at a train show and so I called to see how much money was bid on our dad's railroad treasures. It was rather disheartening to discover that only a couple of things had sold. I had envisioned at least minimum bids on everything, as dad's treasures had become mine over the last year that I have kept them, and therefore everyone would be wanting them. Not so.

Is this how the Father in heaven felt after giving up His only Son? Even as a gift, most people have rejected this treasure of all treasures. How can we be so blind when it comes to the value of our Savior? Shouldn't we all be wanting Him?

But then, I got to thinking that probably there just weren't enough people at the train show who happened to get to the silent auction tables. I should have been there, directing them to our precious items.

So, perhaps I have an obligation when it comes to Jesus' amazing gift as well. Am I somewhat to blame for some of those rejections? I need to be standing nearby, directing people to the valuable gift--Jesus, our most wonderful treasure of all.

4 comments:

Joy said...

This was just excellent. So quiet, so simple, so loving, yet, so profound. Thank you.

Joy said...

Teresa, I just posted a link to this post on my blog. More people need to learn from your wisdom (including me!).

Sally said...

As I was reading Joy's blog, I saw her post regarding your site. Truly it is in moments of our every day experiences that God speaks to us. Your analogy speaks volumes in a quiet way. Thank you for sharing.

Teresa said...

Thank you,Sally. It has been a great blessing to me just to write these blogs. Reminds me to think of God in a tangible way every day.