Monday, February 20, 2012

Our Caregiver Spouse

Today we had a home visit from my husband's services coordinator from Aging Partners, as our local agency on aging is called. I went over the many papers specifying what help he was getting and from whom. Repeatedly, I, the spouse, was listed as his provider, and commented that I'd forgotten just how much I was doing for his care. Basically, I'm his primary caregiver, and all the others are just supporting staff to make it possible to have him at home.

Sadly enough though, I'm the only service provider who isn't paid. And only because I'm his spouse. Evidently, those vows we take at our weddings are taken pretty seriously by the public. We are expected to take care of our loved ones, in sickness and in health, for better or worse, but without pay. At least pay of the dollar bill variety.

I am paid in ways that can't be tallied though. Just to be married to the same man for 35 years is a kind of reward. The sense that I truly make the difference in at least one person's life is another valuable bonus. The everyday challenges of making this household run, from the doctor's appointments to how to buy my next set of car tires, give me a feeling of being inventive and competent. But most of all, they prompt me to go to the real Source of my competency, our Lord and Savior. Now there's a Spouse we can depend on, the Caregiver of the caregiver. And His services are free too.

1 comment:

Joy said...

I always enjoy your insights. Your realization of how valuable you are to your husband's care: I believe that God holds us accountable to first caring for our spouse, parents, family members, and you are doing that. We do many things in life that we are not paid for, but I know God will reward us if not here on earth, than in heaven. Building up treasures in heaven!