Thursday, February 23, 2012

Dentist Visit

When does a simple dental exam become more complicated to a caregiver? When you are told that the sore in his mouth, which he's complained about for months, is actually a cyst and will need to have the attention of a pathologist. Home health nurses have been watching that sore, and it has improved. Our family doctor saw it and prescribed some medicine for it a while back. It was even noticed in ER when he first fractured his foot last fall and they prescribed a special mouthwash for it.

I only recall one nurse mention that perhaps he should see his dentist. But I waited until his regular dental exam to have that happen. Now I wish I had listened more closely to that one lone nurse. I feel like a lousy caregiver about now. Why didn't I get him to the dentist sooner?

On a spiritual level, I often hear from others about how to live my faith. There is good advice out there that would guide me in my Christian walk. Whole bookstores are devoted to the subject of religion. But the only safe source of information is from the Bible itself. We have to go to that source first, just as we should have seen the dentist first. To know God is to know His Word. Only He can diagnose your spiritual shortcomings and prescribe the cure.

No comments: