Wednesday, April 4, 2012

An Easter Wedding

My niece is getting married this weekend and I'm so happy for her. She has waited long for someone who cares this much about her. Their wedding will be on Saturday evening on the beach. Nothing elaborate, just a simple joining of two lives together. I know they are anxious to proclaim their commitment to each other in front of their friends and family. I wish I could attend, but will have to be content to hear about the event through my loved ones.

I think back to the early church. There were disciples living in Jerusalem who were witnesses to the events surrounding the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. And then there were a vast number later who depended on those firsthand accounts and had to be content to hear about Jesus' life and ministry through them.

As we look forward to this Easter weekend and the wedding, I will also be looking back to another Easter when Jesus gave us something else to celebrate. Whether we are there, or just hear about it from others, both occasions are sure to hold a special place in our hearts.

No comments: