Friday, April 20, 2012

Minnie Melts

I took my little dog Minnie to the vet today for shots. It was hard to see her get poked and hear her whimper when the needles went in. Dogs are so trusting though. I held her afterwards and she melted in my arms.

There was a moment in the waiting room that I wanted to melt in someone's arms. Disappear in them actually. My husband begged me to take him with me to the vet's and I reluctantly agreed, even though he could have stayed home with my nephew. I won't go into details, but let's just say I was embarrassed by some of Dean's behavior while we waited for Minnie's turn for shots.

It's getting more difficult to take him places. I always wondered why caregivers, especially those with loved ones with dementia, stayed home so much and felt so isolated. But that's just the way it is, when it's all said and done, it's just easier to stay home.

I'm actually fortunate to have been a caregiver for Dean's brain injury so many years already. I feel like I know the ropes a bit already. It's all the same dementia symptoms, just brought up a notch. Now that I've gotten used to the idea that it will get worse, I can focus on strategies to keep things running smoothly around here.

I am ready to melt in my Savior's arms when needed. Those shots can really hurt, but I try to remember that they are vital instruments in carrying out God's will for the whole universe. I am not isolated one bit, no matter how much we stay home.

No comments: