Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Patience

This morning I told my husband not to forget his cane, which was by the door he was about to go out of to catch his ride to his adult day program. A couple of minutes later, he heads out the door when the van pulled up. As soon as they drive away, I notice the cane still where he left it.

There is very little I can count on him to remember these days. Consequently, I have to be constantly vigilant for both of us, not to forget even the simplest of things. I should be used to this responsibility after twelve years, but things are getting worse it seems. Aging is not friendly to those with brain injury, I've been told. And it isn't a bowl of cherries for the caregiver either.

I know that parents must be ever watchful for their children, especially when they are very young. But it's just not natural to be a parent to your spouse. If you think teenagers are difficult, because they are older, try managing a 60+ year-old. You will know real frustration. But you will also learn real patience.

Maybe that's what these elderly men and women are here for. To develop our patience. I thought I learned it all in raising our daughter, but I'm getting a refresher course. I think I'm at the graduate level courses by now.

I remember a quote that said, "Patience with others is love. Patience with self is hope. Patience with God is faith." If that's the case, pile it on, Lord! Give me patience.

No comments: