Monday, April 23, 2012

Shattered Glass

The pretty salad that I reported making day before yesterday suffered a horrific demise today when Dean, my husband, sent it sailing across the kitchen when his arm accidentally flung it off the stove. I was about to revive it with another tomato and serve it for our supper. And if you'll remember it was in a GLASS bowl. Not crystal, but cut glass, thankfully. I had no idea glass could break in so many pieces though! The floor was sparkling with tiny pieces of glass EVERYWHERE. Not an easy clean up, I can tell you. I'll be scared to go barefoot in there for at least a week, even after much sweeping and vacuuming.

I have to admit the shattered glass was rather pretty, as I swept it up. At least neither of us were cut or hurt by the accident. Now I have something to request for Mother's Day. A new salad bowl! You see, no matter what happens, we can turn it in to a positive. I refuse to be pulled down by a little cut glass.

It turned out to be a stark reminder that our lives can shatter at any moment. Nothing is guaranteed. Here one minute, gone the next. Rather than complaining or worrying about what the future holds, it might be more productive to just appreciate and enjoy the moments we have. I needed that reminder today.


No comments: