Sunday, April 1, 2012

Good-bye to a Friend

I am saddened today about the loss of a great gentleman who attended my church for about as many years as the local church existed. Mitch will be long remembered for his wide smile and winsome ways. Even though he was at an age where losing him should be expected, it still caught most of us by surprise. He was at church just yesterday, smiling and shaking hands with all his friends.

I know this makes him sound like a strong, gregarious person. But he really had a very humble, non-assuming personality. Mitch didn't have to command your attention. You gave it to him because he just seemed worthy of it. He was proud of his native American heritage, but didn't lord it over anyone either.

He spoke of his Savior as his best friend, as I'm sure He was. And he wanted everyone to know that Jesus could be their friend too. Mitch served God right to the end. He could always be depended on to visit others who couldn't make it to church, and he never failed to amaze me with his wise and loving comments during Sabbath School class. I looked forward to his insights in our Bible study each week.

There's a lot to miss about our friend Mitch. There was a lot behind his wide, ear-to-ear smile. And I think those are the things that will live on in all the lives he touched. The best part, the God-part, lives on.

No comments: